Hearing Tests and Assessments
Whatever your age or hearing issue you’ll find the right test and assessments at Dilworth Hearing. If you suspect you may be suffering from hearing loss, come and see one of our highly qualified audiologists who’ll ensure you’re properly assessed.
Full Diagnostic Hearing Assessment
Diagnostic hearing assessments offer a comprehensive insight into your hearing loss problem. This is the first appointment you’ll have at Dilworth Hearing, and from this you will get an accurate picture of your hearing, and the best, most appropriate treatment faster.
We offer a full diagnostic hearing assessment for people of all ages, from babies and toddlers to adults. A full diagnostic assessment includes the following five tests and takes approximately one hour:
- Otoscopy – your audiologist will look into your ear canal with a magnifying tool called an otoscope. This helps rule out any physical abnormalities or wax build-up that could be causing hearing difficulties.
- Immittance Audiometry – your audiologist will place a small plug into your ear, which emits a low humming sound and a series of beeps. This can help identify medical causes for hearing difficulties such as middle ear infections. If there’s an underlying medical cause of your hearing issues, it could be best treated with surgery or watchful waiting.
- Air Conduction Testing – your audiologist will place headphones over your ears and ask you to press a button when you hear a beep. This test measures the extent of your hearing loss and helps us give you the most accurate treatment options.
- Bone Conduction Testing – your audiologist will use a headband to position a vibrating box behind your ear. This sends sound directly to your cochlea, bypassing the ear canal and middle ear. The results will help us determine what type of hearing loss you have (sensorineural, conductive or mixed) and allows us to recommend treatment options.
- Speech Audiometry – you will be asked to repeat a list of simple words. There are nonverbal options for infants or people with special needs. This test helps us find out how well you are able to process speech. It is a vital part of the full diagnostic hearing assessment because it lets us know how much you will benefit from hearing aids.
Get to the root of your hearing issues right away. Book your full diagnostic hearing assessment today.
Hearing Aid Assessments
A hearing aid is an electronic device that amplifies sound, makes speech more intelligible, and supports impaired hearing. After your full diagnostic hearing assessment, your audiologist will help you find the right model.
Getting fitted with a hearing aid requires a few appointments:
- Needs assessment – a discussion to match you to an ideal product for your lifestyle, loss and budget.
- Hearing aid fitting – individualised programming and a technical assessment of hearing aid function in your ears and a detailed discussion about use and maintenance.
- Hearing aid review – check-up appointments over a trial period to ensure your hearing aids function optimally and that you are happy with the result.
Specialised Tinnitus Assessments
Tinnitus isn’t curable, but it is treatable. During the appointment your audiologist will obtain a thorough understanding of your specific Tinnitus and how it affects your quality of life. They will also assess your hearing, explain results and discuss management options.
- Tinnitus assessment – duration approx 45 minutes
Hearing issues can affect anyone of any age, including babies, toddlers and children. Do you suspect that your child has hearing issues? Our trained staff will provide a full diagnostic hearing assessment, then offer treatment options to suit your child’s needs.
- Puppet in the window (PIWI) testing/ Visual Reinforcement Audiometry (VRA) (6 months to 2 years) – allow 45 minutes
- Play Audiometry (3-5 years) – duration approx 30 minutes
- Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) assessment – duration approx 90 minutes
We have a range of other assessments for people of all ages including babies (from 7 months), children and adults. Contact our friendly staff today to discuss your needs and they will book an assessment that is right for you or your loved one or book an appointment online.
Hearing Health Checks
Hearing Health Check-ups help keep your ears feeling clean and healthy.
Available at Dilworth Hearing Takapuna, St Heliers, Remuera, Te Atatu, Howick, Papakura and Kelburn.